Sunday, December 9, 2012

Stolen Cheer?

Growing up I was always told that copying is a form of flattery. As I've gotten older, and wiser, I tend to agree with that statement more and more.

At Thanksgiving this year, my sister-in-law told me her cool idea of making a wreath out of peppermint candies. I told her I thought that was cool. And that was that. Or so she thought.

I just couldn't let the idea go.... She had the BEST idea, and I needed to try it. now.

...So a week later I did.

This tutorial is brought to you on behalf of the artistic genius of Sarah. (Yeah, yeah. She probably found the idea from the depths of the internet or a magazine...)

Supplies:
Wreath
Paper Ribbon
Hot glue gun
peppermint candies (I used about two bags of red and one of green)
1 (10oz) bag cherry sours
Ribbon for hanging

My total cost: $10
Total time: 1hr

The cheapest wreath I could find was a stick wreath like this:



After about ten minutes of wrapping paper ribbon around it, it looked better than I thought and I was on to hot gluing. I started with a pattern, and I got off course a few times, but overall I think it was a huge success. The Cherry sours help to fill any gaps, and add a nice finishing touch.
I did get a little over excited and picked up the wreath before it was fully dry and lost some cherry sours. I think I've retrieved them all, but I might have a fun surprise when I do the annual "clean behind the furniture" sweep.

The finished product is now hanging in my living room. I debated putting it on my front door, but as nothing is covering the candy, I didn't need wild animals, rodents, or hobos licking my front door. I think this brings quite a bit of Christmas cheer to my home, and sure makes me smile. Thanks, Sarah!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really good.

Mrs. 5C said...

SO COOL!!!! Steal my stolen ideas all you want! :)

Caroline said...

And it's even prettier in person :).