Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Summer Lovin' Dumpster Diving

As evident in my other posts, I was taught by my mother at an early age how to save money, spend with caution, and, most importantly, never give up a bargain. Well, Mom, I have taken those lessons to heart and have found the best of all those tips. Yes folks, Dumpster Diving! I know, I know, I have already written about the joys of dumpster diving and how it helped me pick my college, but I have hit the jackpot once more and must share!
tip number one: save money. Well, dumpster diving is free, so that's a huge check!
tip number two: spend with caution. Again, it's free, so no worries there.
and, tip number three: Never pass up a bargain. No folks, this is better than a bargain. Did I mention it's FREE! I have cut out the middle man and I get the goods with only one price: my time. And, I've got plenty of that to spend and share!
So, as you can see, I have made out pretty well in my expeditions thus far, and living in a college town means that this is a never ending adventure!
My Grandfather goes dumpster diving every year at a local college, and I think I have figured out why it is so thrilling to him as it is to me. He's a hunter, and I'm sure he misses the thrill of hunting deer on the off season so he finds something cooler: hunting for free stuff! It's almost as cool, except you don't need a gun.
So, Pop, I will join you anytime you want to hunt for some furniture. I'm sure it doesn't taste as good as venison, but it's definitely an adventure!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

HOORAY for free stuff a la dumpster! We haven't bought a single piece of furniture yet.

OnlyMeyers said...

Pop and them don't just look for furniture. They put on gloves and search through garbage bags in the dumpsters. They even took unopened beer. To quote Uncle Steve when he found in, "It's still cold!"