Thursday, July 23, 2009

Uncle MacGyver


There is no doubt that MacGyver was awesome, I mean, who doesn’t think disarming a missile with a paperclip or making a jet ski out of a casket is cool and very resourceful? But the question is, are there REAL MacGyvers out there? This past week I learned the answer to that question, and it is, undoubtedly, yes.

My uncle Steve, better known to my friends as “Uncle Nestle,” can be considered a jack of all trades. Not only does he know how to fix cars (or crash them in demolition derbies) and renovate houses, he is one of the best cooks I have ever met. He is always willing to help out with the odd tasks of fixing your transmission leak in a Wal-Mart parking lot or retrieve meatballs from your neighbor’s boat while his niece lets the whole world know what he is doing. And he will never turn down the opportunity to make you something tasty to eat, no matter the time of day.

Well, this past week, I had the unique opportunity to witness yet another unique talent of my uncle: MacGyvering a keg. It is no question that my family loves to drink. On our yearly vacations to Myrtle Beach, we have a merry time almost every night drinking, telling stories, and having family time with one another. Since it’s almost EVERY night, you can imagine how much alcohol is involved. A LOT. This year, we tried something new. My brother had a great idea and bought a keg for our vacation. What a perfect way to have copious amounts of alcohol and fun at hand at all times. No more need for trips to the grocery store for more booze!

Unfortunately, the keg had a slight problem that prevented the tap from sealing. I don’t know the details, I only watched in utter amazement while my uncle, determined by the need for beer, fixed a broken keg with some women’s razors and some sort of insulation/carpet/odd material that he found.

Needless to say, it was a success, and my uncle saved the day yet again! I only hope next year I can uncover yet another great talent of his!

No comments: